Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

Ok, I stole this review from my own blog, it's from a couple of months ago:

This was such a good book! I was on my way to Maryland for a week of training for work and I had actually just started reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (which I still haven't finished!), but the hard back version is so big that I didn't want to lug it around with me. So, I stopped by a bookstore in the Atlanta airport to find something to read on my trip. (Paid way too much for it since I bought it in an airport, buy from Amazon or Half.com!!!) I was first attracted by the cover and once I read the summary, I was sold. I mean ghosts, mysteries, gothic suspense, come on!

I thought the book was so well written and I really loved the main character Margaret. The main characters are such lovers of books that you really feel like kindred spirits. I guess that is also why I love the Twilight Series so much.

The story is about Margaret who is asked to write the life story of a famous author, Vida Winter. This is an especially exciting task because Vida has made up numerous stories about her life and no one knows the real version or who she really is. Her story is filled with mystery and Margaret has her own secret that draws her even more into Vida's world!

Here is an excerpt from Barnes and Noble that I really love:
"The Thirteenth Tale is a love letter to reading, a book for the feral reader in all of us, a return to that rich vein of storytelling that our parents loved and that we loved as children. Diane Setterfield will keep you guessing, make you wonder, move you to tears and laughter and, in the end, deposit you breathless yet satisfied back upon the shore of your everyday life."

The language in the book is good and there isn't much sexual content, a few hintings here and there, but pretty clean overall. 4 out of 5 from me!

3 comments:

Jessie said...

GREAT post!! I LOVED this book as well and I am so glad that you recommended me to read it!!!
Started off a little slow but by like the 5th Chapter I was completely engrossed in the twists, turns, surprises and mysteries that unfolded throughout the story!! I really can't think of any other book that was so mysterious as this one...

By the way LOVE the new High Five Rating you are AWESOME Angie!!!

Nick said...

So....jess says I should read this book. Do you agree with her? or is it more of a girl book?

malrfrederick said...

I enjoyed this book! It was slow going in the beginning, but I was glad I finished it. I would give I 3 1/2 stars.